Washington Georgia is known for it's beautiful historical homes. With over 100 per capita in the state; we have the largest number of Antebellum homes in Georgia. Today, all the history of the past is alive and well preserved in our magnificent antebellum and Victorian homes and buildings. Our spectacular architectural styles include: Federal, Plain style, Greek Revival, Victorian, Colonial, cottages, bungalows and mansions. A number of these antebellum homes have been masterfully restored to provide visitors and citizens alike with Southern Hospitality at its best, open twice annually for tours. Here are a few featured homes:
The Penna Home
This home was designed in a simplified second Emipire style in 1884 by W.W. Thomas, one of the leading architects of the era. General Robert Toombs, Secretary of State of the Confederate States of America, commissioned the architect to build the home for his grandson, Toombs DuBose.
During the mid-20th Century, the house was in the Sims family and at one point one of the Sims sisters, Elizabeth Sims Smith, operated a kindergarten for Washington's children in the house.
The Peddar Home
Records of the late Mrs. Gilmer (Dorothy) Hoge, former owner, indicate that it was probably built in the late 1800s. Mrs Hoge's records show that the house was owned in 1887 by the J.W. Chapman family and in 1889 by Mrs. C. Vickers who sold it to H.H. Carey.
Research by Robert M. Willingham Jr. in 1996 indicates that the original house on this site was constructed about 1820 for M. Marcus, a Jewish merchant who, for a number of years, ran a store in Washington. His descendants moved to Texas later in the 19th century and developed the business that became Neiman-Marcus department stores.
This hybrid Federal-Victorian house has been known in recent years as "the Johnson House". The house pre-dates the Civil War by many years. Earliest courthouse records indicate a sale of the house from A. L. Alexander to J.C. Stummer in 1868. It cannot be established with certainty just when the original house was built but it appears to have been the familiar four-over-four- influenced by Thomas Jefferson's Federal Style in the first half of the Nineteenth Century.
Throughout the years, the house has had additions and revisions from which has evolved a Victorian appearance with lovely scroll work and a wrap-around porch, typical of that type of architecture.